This post may contain affiliate links.
Changing your lifestyle is hard. Like, really hard.
You need dedication and motivation if you want to break bad habits and improve your overall health.
Easier said than done, right?
The way we approach health and wellness is changing. Now, it's all about versatility, self-awareness, and rolling with the punches.
Whether your goal is to lose weight, tone muscle, or improve your mental state, these books can help guide you on your journey.
Each book offers an innovative take on wellness while providing you with tools and resources to improve your life.
Nutrition Books and Cookbooks
Kickstart your diet with some ideas and inspiration from these nutrition books and cookbooks.
1. The Complete Ketogenic Diet for Beginners: Your Essential Guide to Living the Keto Lifestyle
If you're new to the keto diet, this is where to start. The book explains the fundamentals of ketosis and the keto lifestyle. You also get a meal plan, recipes, and a handy chart to help jumpstart your health journey.
2. Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
Cate Shanahan, MD
Ever wonder why folks in Japan or the Mediterranean live long and healthy lives? Cate Shanahan, M.D. traveled the world to find out. According to the "human diet," what we eat directly impacts our DNA.
3. Healthy Gut, Flat Stomach: The Fast and Easy Low-FODMAP Diet Plan
Forget everything you think you know about bloating and weight gain. This book offers a scientific approach for eliminating specific sugars called FODMAP.
4. Paleo for Beginners: Essentials to Get Started
This best seller provides a shopping list, diet breakdown, meal plan, and recipes to get you started on the diet humans were designed to consume: the paleo diet.
5. Food Allergies: A Complete Guide for Eating When Your Life Depends on It
Scott H. Sicherer, MD
This groundbreaking book covers the full spectrum of food allergies offering practical advice, resources, and scientific guidance.
6. The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts and the Rest of Your Life
You can have strong muscles on a plant-based diet and Matt Frazier gives you all the tools you need to meet this goal. Mango sticky rice for dessert? Yes, please.
7. How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
Matt Greger, MD
This book examines family medical history for illnesses like Alzheimer's, diabetes, and heart disease. Greger then scientifically explains how individuals can avoid similar fates by eating certain foods and avoiding others.
8. The Whole30 Fast & Easy Cookbook: 150 Simply Delicious Everyday Recipes for Your Whole30
Trying to eat more whole foods but simply don't have the time to cook? This Whole30 Cookbook provides 150 amazing recipes that take less than 30 minutes to prepare.
9. The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in "Healthy" Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain
Dr. Steven Gundry, MD
Just like humans and animals, plants have defense mechanisms called lectins to help them survive. Dr. Gundry explains how consuming certain plants can trigger adverse effects and allergies in humans. He offers sage advice for reducing lectins without eliminating plant-based foods from your diet.
10. 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse
Jump start your new diet with a 10-day green juice cleanse. This New York Times bestseller provides over 100 recipes to reduce fat and bloat while training your body to crave healthy foods.
Mental Health, Wellness, and Self-Help Books
Balance your mental health and reduce stress with these wellness and self-help books.
11. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
Sick of hearing about the power of positive thinking? Mark Manson explains that instead of ignoring negative thoughts, you should train yourself to embrace them, roll with the punches, and accept things the way they are.
12. The Telomere Effect: A Revolutionary Approach to Living Younger, Healthier, Longer
Dr. Elizabeth Blackburn and Dr. Elissa Epel
Why do some 35-year olds look nearly 50 while some 50-year olds don't look a day over 35? Telomeres: an integral part of your DNA. Dr. Blackburn and Dr. Epel explain the science behind telomeres and how you can slow aging through diet, physical activity, and lifestyle choices.
13. The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living
Hygge (pronounced hue-guh) is a cornerstone of Danish culture focusing on contentment. Meik Wiking explains how to unplug, slow down, build relationships, and make time for the things that really matter.
14. You Are a Bad*ss: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
You can't change everything about yourself. Instead of lamenting, learn to love yourself. Jen Sincero offers a refreshingly honest approach for meeting your goals, eliminating bad behaviors, and channeling your inner bad*ss to create a life you absolutely love.
15. 52 Small Changes: One Year to a Happier, Healthier You
Giving your lifestyle an overhaul isn't easy. Instead of jumping in head first, take things one week at a time. This book offers one small – and realistic – change you can make each week to revitalize your life for the long-haul.
16. Memory Rescue: Supercharge Your Brain, Reverse Memory Loss, and Remember What Matters Most
Dr. Daniel G. Amen
Did you know brain deterioration begins several decades before you start noticing symptoms? Dr. Amen provides advice for halting – and reversing – memory loss through diet, physical activity, and mental health exercises.
17. The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
A modern self-help classic, The Four Agreements offers ancient wisdom for simplifying your life through personal conduct.
18. The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
Bessel van der Kolk, MD
Physical and mental trauma share a direct link. Their symptoms impact every aspect of our lives from physical pain to relationships. Dr. Kolk explains innovative and comprehensive healing methods based on decades of neuroscientific research.
19. Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts
What defines consciousness and where does it come from? Backed by breathtaking research, this book breaks down consciousness in an easy to digest format.
20. Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World
William H. McRaven
Written by a retired US admiral, Make Your Bed provides ten simple principles for transforming your life and outlook.
Yoga, Exercise, and Fitness Books
Spice things up with some inspiration from these yoga and fitness books.
21. Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
This revolutionary approach to comprehensive health focuses on individual efficacy and "hacking" your body to achieve optimal results.
22. The Endurance Diet: Discover the 5 Core Habits of the World’s Greatest Athletes to Look, Feel, and Perform Better
Life is all about the choices we make. Learn how to remove old habits and replace them with positive ones for optimal health.
23. Go from Stressed to Strong: Health and Fitness Advice from High Achievers
Laurie A. Watkins
Stress creates a vicious cycle of bad habits. How do folks in some of the most high-stress jobs cope? Laurie explains how to break that cycle with practical – and proven – tools.
24. The HIIT Bible: Supercharge Your Body and Brain
High intensity interval training: learn how this top fitness trend can improve your cardiovascular health and get you a rockin' bod.
25. 100 No-Equipment Workouts Vol. 1: Fitness Routines You Can do Anywhere, Any Time
The title says it all. Simple and straight to the point: no more excuses.
26. Big Gal Yoga: Poses and Practices to Celebrate Your Body and Empower Your Life
Acclaimed social media star, Valerie Sagun, offers a complete wellness guide for yogis of all sizes. She provides inspiration and encouragement on how to accept yourself as is while improving your health in the process.
27. Ultimate Plank Fitness: For a Strong Core, Killer Abs — and a Killer Body
Low impact and effective, this book provides dozens of plank variations to challenge yourself and transform your body. From group workouts to yoga, there's a plank for everything.
28. Cracking the CrossFit Open: How to Outperform Your Peers in Every Workout
This book contains everything you've ever wanted to know about CrossFit and more including fundamentals, frameworks, nutrition, and tips.
29. The Yoga Bible
This classic provides detailed instructions, breathing techniques, meditation, and lots of pictures to jump start – or revitalize – your practice.
30. Barre Fitness: Barre Exercises You Can Do Anywhere for Flexibility, Core Strength, and a Lean Body
Want a ballerina bod? Shape muscles, improve tone, and slow aging with over 100 exercises. The best part? No barre required.